UPSC Prelims Exam Pattern and Syllabus 2018
UPSC Prelims Exam Pattern and Syllabus. As we all know UPSC released a UPSC Civil Services IAS Notification 201. Now UPSC Prelims examination is the 1st level of examination to be cracked among the three levels in the UPSC Civil Services Examination, followed by Civil Services Mains Examination and the Personality Test for realizing your dream of becoming a civil servant.
Before you appearing any exam, the first thing you need to know is the syllabus and the exam format. UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) conducts the Civil Services Examination (CSE). UPSC prelims paper is divided into three objective type papers:
- Preliminary examination
- Mains examination
- Personality test (interview)
UPSC Prelims Exam Pattern 2018
|UPSC Prelims Exam Papers||Duration||Questions||Marks|
|Paper I – General Studies: It is qualifying paper to write the mains exam||2 Hours||100||200|
|Paper II – Aptitude: This paper is of qualifying nature, but candidate must score at least 33% marks in this paper and marks of this paper are not counted for writing the Mains examination.||2 Hours||80||200|
UPSC Prelims Syllabus 2018
There are two papers in Prelims exam – General Studies and Aptitude or CSAT (Civil Services Aptitude Test). Here we are providing SAT Syllabus (Aptitude Test) for 2018 Prelims Exams. Check out for SAT Syllabus from below.
UPSC General Studies Paper I Syllabus
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian national movement
- Indian and World Geography- Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the world
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political system, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights issues,
- Economic and Social development – sustainable development, poverty, inclusion, demographics, social sector initiatives etc.
- General issues on environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate change-that do not require subject specialization
UPSC Paper II Aptitude Syllabus
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision making and problem-solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude etc.) (Class X level), Data Interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
- English Language Comprehension skills (Class X level)
- Questions relating to English Language Comprehension skills of Class X level. (will be tested through passages from English language only without providing Hindi translation)
It is mandatory for a candidate to appear in both the civil services prelims papers in order to be qualified for mains examination. Appearing in both the papers is compulsory for evaluation of UPSC prelims paper.